Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Future destinations...

I thought I would comprise a list of trips I want to take over the rest of my life. I have to raft the Amazon River before I leave the planet. And I have always wanted to go to Japan. When I was a little tyke, I discovered 'origami' the art of folding paper and making different objects with folded paper. I started by making an airplane and then graduated to more complex objects such as birds. I think my hesitation for hopping on a plane and going to Japan is my inability to speak the language. Though, really anymore we can go anywhere and find someone who can speak English. I would also like to go to outer space and be weightless for a few moments. To see the world from outer space has been my quest since I was about six years old I wanted to be an astronaut. I told both my children I intend to spend their inheritance, I don't think they liked the idea!

The idea for rafting the Amazon came from having rafted the mighty Colorado River back in 1995. That was an amazing trip. My daughter Reina and I did that together. It was her high school graduation present. We were on the river for six days and I was transformed forever. The rugged beauty of the Grand Canyon is beyond compare. The route the river has taken, carving out the canyon is spectacular. Every vista is more engrossing than the one before. And, besides the sound of the river, we were surrounded by silence. I think silence is a running theme in my life. I remember when I lived in Nairobi Kenya, I would go under our house to get away from the hustle bustle of our busy household. I am one of six children. The house in Nairobi was built atop big blocks so that when the rainy season came your house didn't run off without you! I think growing up in Nairobi, I came to appreciate the gentle beauty of our planet. I do love nature and I do love this planet. So, at some point I will make a point to take the trips I have talked about. Until then I will just revisit the ones I have already taken.
  


No comments:

Post a Comment