Monday, February 16, 2009

Countdown to India!

It's good to have a blog.  I enjoy writing my thoughts on 'paper'.  I have always written in a journal. I think, this is different, my thoughts will be read by friends and by people I am not too familiar with and possibly by strangers. My son Mahesh has been encouraging me to create a blog for sometime now. I do send out a monthly newsletter, which is kind of a blog. This is a natural extension of that expression.

My dear friend Gwen, suggested I create a blog for my upcoming trip to India. This way she said, everyone will be able to log in and keep up with my excellent adventure!
So, here goes.
Countdown to India!

In twelve days I will be boarding a plane to begin the long trek to India-- land of enchantment. Land of my heritage.  A place that pulls at my heartstrings and frustrates me as well.  As many of you know, I was born in Nairobi, Kenya. I am second generation East African.  My grandparents left India at the turn of the last century. I don't feel completely Indian, nor do I feel African. Long ago I came to the conclusion, I am a hybrid. My Indian heritage is 100%, yet my upbringing is very cosmopolitan.  We moved from continent to continent.  So, I feel at home anywhere.  That's a good thing.

Anytime, I go to India, I feel this incredible pull to stay a while and linger. I feel comfortable in an uneasy sort of way. I feel claustrophobic, yet enjoy all the mayhem around me. The food is incredible. The sights, sounds and aromas of India are unique. Having lived in the west for most of my adult life, I marvel at the way Indian people have carved their lives with limited resources. It annoys me when people want to bestow pity on the people of India. I see Indians as a resilient people. A people who have overcome and integrated many cultures of the world. No doubt, as this journey to India progresses, I will receive numerous insights. I am anxious to get this journey started.  

I am grateful to my friend Gene who suggested we go to India. He wanted me to be his tour guide. I am looking forward to this 'excellent adventure!' 

No comments:

Post a Comment