Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Blueridge Parkway

I am making this entry from Blowing rock North Carolina. A charming town nestled in the Blue Ridge mountains.
I took the Parkway from Ashville. The parkway is a narrow winding roadway, that hugs the edge of the mountain often. I ended up playing peek a boo with the Smokey Mountains. At times the vistas were amazing overlooking expansive mountain ridges. And, at other times I was driving through tree covered road. The tree canopy blocked out the afternoon sun. Made me think of the time I spent on Salt Spring Island off the coast of Vancouver. I have a tough time when I am unable to see the horizon. Must be because I have spent so much time on the open plains of Oklahoma!

There really is a haze over the mountains all through the day. What I enjoyed about the Parkway was no large trucks in my way. No giant RVs. Quite often I was on the road by myself. A bit reminicient of my drive to Alaska. While I was on I-40 earlier this morning, I wondered what it would be like if there were no eighteen wheelers on the roads anywhere? I do wish we as a country could find a different way to transport our goods, so that the roadways could be free for traveling. Well, traveling the Parkway, I got my wish. No big trucks!

I am staying at a charming little inn, it's called Mountainaire Inn. The owners Deborah and Jim McDowell are very hospitable and helpful. I had a wonderful meal at . The amazing thing about little hamlets such as this is the charm they exude. Quaint shops line the main street. Home with flags on the front porch fly gently in the breeze. There are white picket fences and hanging baskets overflowing with flowers and foliage. Of course I immediately want to move to places like this. And, then I realize this looks so good right now, what does it look like in the dead of winter? I am grateful for Oklahoma's clear blue skies even in the dead of winter. I am sure living here has it's advantages as well as disadvantages. I am getting to see the best of Blowing Rock.

Tomorrow, I will be back on the Parkway, even though it's slow going I am enjoying the time on the road without having to battle the eighteen wheelers!
I will write more then.

No comments:

Post a Comment