Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Lost in time.

So, all day today I was traveling the Blueridge Parkway. And, I felt like I was lost in an another era. This is what it must have been like for the early motorists. Just a simple two lane hi-way, meandering along. Not a care in the world, we get there when we get there. I stopped every so often to see the views along the way. When I stop I notice that a lot of people comment on my car, it's an aquamarine blue convertible. More often men are fascinated by the car and always want to know how fast it will go?! I tell them "fast enough".

I enjoyed the Parkway, at times I did have my CD player cranked up high, listening to Robert Palmer singing "Doctor, doctor", followed by Elvis singing "Heartbreak hotel". And, then Rolling Stones singing "Satisfaction". My sense of being for the entire day was satisfaction. So, Mick Jagger without knowing it, sang this song so long ago just so I could enjoy it today and on many other road trips. Other times during my trek on the Parkway, I drove in silence and marveled at the beauty of this planet. I am always awe struck by trees. I have never met a tree I didn't like! 

The Parkway is a unique road. It has no gas stations on it. Just a few restaurants dotted along the way. Camping sites with bathrooms are available. Recycling bins at the campgrounds. I just saw a couple of small cabins for rent. The rest of the Parkway is close enough to towns where overnight lodging is available. It's jarring to the senses to come off the Parkway and get back to the real world. To the four lane hi-ways with cars speeding beyond eighty miles per hour. Believe it or not, I was actually driving the speed limit while on the Parkway. To be honest, it's hard to go beyond 45 mph on hairpin curves, even in my car! 

As I exited the Parkway, I was close to Roanoak Virginia. I decided to get on the interstate, so I could stop for the night. I was driving the speed limit and a Virginia trooper turned his sirens on. Puzzled I pulled over. He came up and asked me why I had a radar detector? Dumbfounded, I stuttered for words. He then proceeded to inform me that radar detectors are illegal in the Commonwealth of Virginia! Long story short... I got a ticket for not speeding but for having a radar detector. At least he returned it to me with express instructions not to use it. By the way, they are illegal in DC too! That was my bit of craziness for the day.

Tomorrow, I get to see my son and spend a few days with him in Washington DC. That's what this whole road trip has been about. To get to have time for a few days with my first born child. I am blessed to have two children who want to spend time with me. I enjoy their company and they return the favor. We have no concrete plans, we do want to see as many museums and monuments as possible. See the White House. Send President Obama our well wishes. 

No doubt, we will stay up late every evening, both of us enjoy listening to the other. I am always amazed at how smart my son is. He is a gifted story teller and I am looking forward to seeing him.

No comments:

Post a Comment