Monday, May 18, 2009

Graceland!

I woke up late this morning and missed the complimentary breakfast! Bummer! So, since I missed breakfast, I went back to sleep. I was at Graceland by ten thirty. I parked my car and walked towards the ticket counter. There are different packages one can buy to see the different attractions. I bought the middle package. For thirty three dollars I could see the mansion, the various cars Elvis had and the airplanes he had. 

The mansion is kept in a time capsule. It's left the way Elvis left it. It truly is a trip back in time. All those dark colours of the seventies and carpet on the kitchen floor! What were we thinking?

This place is a money making machine. Droves of fans come daily. Graceland is open everyday. The tour is so well organized, I was truly impressed. It's a well oiled machine. Though none of the workers seem very happy. They all act like automatons, I am sure it gets tedious to be doing the same thing over and over again all day long. However I was hoping to see some enthusiasm. After all they are working at Graceland!

It was sad and awe inspiring at the same time to see all the things Elvis had accomplished in his short life. For me it was a trip down memory lane. Each song I heard on the PA system took me to a certain time during my life. Elvis is imbedded in our collective memories. He led a life different than most of us. He had an airplane fitted with a bed for himself and he could fly to any place he wanted to when he wanted to. I came away with the feeling that he was a kind and generous soul, who was lonely in his heart. And, my heart ached for him. At his grave site, I thanked him for the many songs he sang. Songs that no doubt still continue to touch so many people.

It was interesting to see all the things he left behind. Seeing all of his clothes, furniture, television sets-- all frozen in time. If anyone had to do a chronology of my life, very few items would be available for my museum! I believe in purging my closet every couple of seasons. There is something to be said about saving all those items. I sure enjoyed the trip down memory lane. I am not sure how I feel as a Feng Shui consultant... holding onto all that stagnant energy. Well, that is another topic altogether!

The mansion is situated on a thirteen acre estate. The lawns are well manicured and the trees are tall and majestic. The preservation of this property is remarkable. Though the tour is well maintained, there was no warmth present. I think Elvis would have wanted it to be more welcoming. 

After the tour, I had lunch at the Chrome Cafe, this is in the area across from Graceland where tickets and Elvis memorabilia can be purchased--it was not good. Vegetarians do not fare well. I had mashed potatoes and mac 'n' cheese. After my sorry lunch, I headed out towards Nashville. Speeding down I-40 East I made it to Cookeville and decided to call it a night. This is where this entry is coming from. Tomorrow, I will be heading towards the Smokey mountains. I plan to take the Blue Ridge Parkway. I am looking forward to traveling this scenic route.
Until then.
Sunita. 

No comments:

Post a Comment