Monday, May 25, 2009

The last day in DC

Well this is our last day in DC. I will miss my son, we have had a good time talking with each other and getting to spend time in the Nation's capital. We went to see the Natural History museum to begin with, after that we went to the Library of Congress. Mahesh wanted to see the draft of the Declaration of Independence, but it was not on display it has been put in a vault to protect it.

We did do a lot of walking, I am tired of walking but I have enjoyed the public transportation. I do wish all of the cities in this country could have public transportation. I guess I can keep on dreaming!

Tonight we went to an Italian restaurant called Al Tiramisu, again an excellent choice by our concierge Eric. He has not steered us wrong. I will miss all the unique restaurants we have eaten at. Having grown up in London, I have enjoyed the variety of different cultures here in DC.  I have decided that DC is an anomaly. I have never visited a city such as this. It seems to have a very transient personality as far as it's inhabitants are concerned. It's a unique city in that it is rich in history, politics and one can't help but feel patriotic, at the same time I didn't feel connected to it's people. Because none of the people I met live in the city. They live in neighboring Virginia or Maryland. I found that to be disconnected.

It will be hard to see my son leave for the west coast tomorrow. Living so far away and not being able to see him often makes my heartache and it bothers me that he won't move closer. Tomorrow, I will be heading towards Oklahoma. First, though I will visit Monticello and then onto Atlanta Georgia to see the Coca-Cola plant. I have been a fan of Coke since I was a child, it will be awesome to see where it all began.

No comments:

Post a Comment