Sunday, July 12, 2009

Arches National Park

Today was an awesome day! I did get up early... every so often it's not a bad idea to get out of bed early. I was on the road by 9:30 a.m. now-- by some standards that is not really early, by my standards it's early! I had already filled the car up the night before and had all the essentials ready i.e. camera battery charged up, phone battery charged, clothes laid out. Anticipation was high in the air. I started westward on 491 and then caught 191 north towards Moab. The two lane hi-way offered many passing lanes along the way and the little roadster was more than happy to kick into high gear and overtake everyone. I love that car! 

I stopped in Moab, this town is famous for more than one reason, Butch Cassidy and his wild Bunch stayed here. It is frequently the back drop for many movies. I picked up my lunch in Moab, the only handicap of being on the road in this country is my choice for breakfast, lunch and dinner is often limited. I pulled into Subway ordered a veggie sandwich to go. I took no napkins, no bag to carry the sandwich in. I am determined to add less trash to the world on my account. I carry a cloth napkin with me in the car, it's much more civilized!  Soon after leaving Moab, I took the exit for Arches National Park, paid my ten dollar fee to enter the park, stopped at the visitor center to ask pertinent questions from the rangers. I had allotted about six hours for the park and it seemed like it would be enough time to catch all the highlights of this amazing sculpture of mother nature.

This park has the largest number of natural stone arches formed by the weathering of openings in vertical slabs of sandstone. Magnificent is one word that comes to mind in describing this park. I am so glad that we have set aside natural treasures such as Arches for the citizens of this country as well as visitors. I was impressed by the fact that there was no trash floating around in the park anywhere. People were being respectful towards this natural treasure.

No matter in what direction I looked I was greeted with amazing views. I think I am at a loss for words. My spirit was refilled today. My eyes drank in the mesmerizing sights. I felt I was on another planet, maybe Mars looks like Arches National Park ? The red sandstone is so fine and so fragile and yet so imposing. The rocks stand guard against the wind, sun and rain, but slowly and gradually the rocks will succumb, and the terrain of Arches will change with time.

I saw giant boulders holding to their position precariously atop a monolith. Only a matter of time before it topples. At least the visitors today got to take a picture o balance rock, balancing! I hiked up to see "Delicate Arch" I saw it from a distance. I didn't have enough time to take the hike to the arch. Though, I was able to see other arches up close and personal. 

I have decided, this park is not really that far away from Oklahoma, and I do want to come back and devote some serious time hiking and taking my time to visit some of the places I was not able to see. So, I see another short road trip in the future to this destination. I do enjoy being outdoors and surrounded by beauty that has been formed by the elements. It's as if a giant sculpting tool in the hands of the immortals was responsible for the panorama I witnessed today. I am humbled.

No comments:

Post a Comment