Friday, July 17, 2009

Vancouver.

Vancouver is my home away from home. This is the place where I spend my summers. It's a good thing, since Oklahoma is so hot at this time of the year. Though, the past couple of days Vancouver has been experiencing it's own heat wave. And, without the aid of air conditioning, it is uncomfortable. At this point I am wishing for cool breezes and rainfall!

I arrived in Vancouver yesterday, after a frustrating day of driving. I have decided that Washington state drivers are the worst drivers in the United States. They really don't understand the concept of using the left lane on the hi way for passing slower traffic. They just stay in the left lane driving really slowly. People in Oklahoma do that too, and it annoys me to no end. They do it especially on the stretch of I-40 from OKC to Shawnee. My drive from Portland to Vancouver was long, the border crossing took almost an hour and then just trying to get to my family's home was an adventure in itself. I expressed some road rage as a young Chinese driver muscled his way into my lane, rather arrogantly. Usually I am accommodating towards people who are in the wrong lane during a bottle neck. But, this young man was rude in his behavior towards me. He not only got ahead of me through sheer force but also neglected to thank me for allowing him to get in front of me. I find lack of road etiquette to be disconcerting.  

Arriving at my family's home and being greeted by my two sisters melted away the stress of the long drive. Getting to eat homemade Indian food was even better! There is nothing like an evening spent in the company of loved ones, reminiscing about days gone by. Laughing, teasing the younger family members about childhood memories. Good times.

Tomorrow, I am going to spend time with my brother, sister in law, niece and nephew. We are planning on going to one of my favorite restaurants, eating as much as I possibly can. After lunch I will spend the rest of the day in their home, catching up.

No comments:

Post a Comment