Friday, July 31, 2009

The Grand Canyon!

Today, I left Kingman AZ in the morning and headed east on I-40. At Seligman AZ, I had to stop because they had a cafe called "The Roadkill Cafe" I had to find out what a vegetarian could eat at a place called ' roadkill '! Turns out, they had quite a few items on the menu for a vegetarian. I settled on a grilled cheese sandwich with fries. After lunch I decided not to go back on I-40, instead I followed historic route 66 to Ashford and then joined I-40. But, for about 22 miles I was traveling on a piece of history.

For the rest of the day my time was spent in a place where my heart resides. I have been in love with the Grand Canyon for a long time. I took both my children and my nephew along with my sister to the canyon on our first trip west. I have taken a lot of trips down memory lane on this sojourn. Remembering my son, daughter and nephew when they were little tykes, looking over at the canyon and not really understanding what they were looking at. Later as my children grew up, my daughter and I rafted the Colorado River at the bottom of the canyon, and then hiked our way out of the canyon. Out of all the trips I have taken, that one still takes my breath away. We stayed at the bottom of the canyon for a whole week, slept under the stars and ate our meals by the river bed. It was an awesome trip. Today, I retraced my steps minus the rafting or hiking out of the canyon. I missed my daughter, so I called her as I got close to Bright Angel trail, the trail we had used for our hike out. It was good to hear her voice as both of us were transported back to our trip, it was good to reminisce about our time together at the canyon. 

Getting to the canyon on hi-way 64 north, one does not get the sense that soon we are about to witness one of the seven wonders of the world! The entrance fee to the park is $25.00, the pass will last for one week, well worth it. I tried to spend as much time as I could at the canyon, I really didn't want to leave. I took hi-way 64 east towards Cameron, so I could see more of the canyon as I drove out. The vistas along this hi-way are superb. My heart just filled with overwhelming feeling of joy and sadness at the same time. I don't like traveling alone, I would much rather share these fantastic moments with loved ones, or a special someone I can share my life with, for now that is not how my life is evolving, and I am a person who believes in living in the moment. So, if traveling alone is how it must be for now, then, so shall it be. 

I am spending the night in Winslow Arizona, the song "Take it easy" by the Eagles is making it's way in my mind right now. Whenever I hear that song, I am transported to Arizona, not that I need any nudge to transport me here. In my head I think I live at the bottom of the Grand Canyon all the time!

Tomorrow I will see the Painted Dessert along with Petrified Forest. I love this drive on I-40 east.

No comments:

Post a Comment