Thursday, July 30, 2009

The Grand Canyon state.

I left this morning from Stockton, I noticed how messy the hi-way was in this area. There was trash everywhere. I think Stockton is referred to as the armpit of California. I can see why.
As I was driving east towards Arizona from California, I took hi-way 58 east from Modesto. This road wove it's way through high mountain country, at top of the hills were several thousand wind mills. They looked so graceful, it seemed as if they were doing cartwheels, at times it felt like they were waving to me. I did take a few pictures, but it didn't seem to do justice to the vista I was viewing. Today the driving was more pleasurable, even though on hi-way 99 drivers were hogging the left lane. Nothing annoys me more than people in my way when I have the need to speed!

I love being in Arizona, it's one of two states in the Union that does not observe daylight savings time. I call that free spirited! I don't like to have to adjust to time changes twice a year, it messes with my internal clock.  I think Arizona is my favorite state. There is something about the stark beauty of this state that amazes me every time I drive through.
Hills that have hues of pink, butter yellow and mauve mixed in with brown dirt look so barren yet open. I don't feel oppressed here as I do in the northwest. I do love trees, though the mountains in Vancouver feel as though they are foreboding. The terrain here feels more open. The sunset colours were spectacular. The mountains looked as if they had taken on a deep purple colour against the yellow, amber of the sunset, truly magnificent. Tomorrow I will be at the Grand Canyon, I really think that I have spent other lifetimes at the bottom of the canyon, I always feel as though I have come home when I am here.


No comments:

Post a Comment