Thursday, March 19, 2009

Bollywood!

Hello from the financial capital of India. Mumbai (formely Bombay) is a very busy city. It consists of 7 islands. The city is vibrant and oh so busy. Just like any large city in the west. It took us over an hour and a half just to get to our hotel from the airport. The security at the hotel is so intense. We are staying at the Taj, the hotel which was one of the targets of the terroists in November. Though, it looks like business as usual. Gene and I both feel a certain tension in the air. After the relaxed time in Goa, I feel a bit like a fish out of water. I don't feel as fast as all of the Mumbaians. Our rooms over look the harbour of the Arabian ocean. Such a spectacular view.

We were up early this a.m. like 5! In my head I was still asleep. While we were sitting in the lounge at the airport, I actually fell asleep. Gene tried to wake me up gently, but I jumped up as if I had missed the connection. Poor Gene was startled by my reaction. No more naps for me from now on. As soon as we landed we left our luggage at the hotel and went to see the Elephanta caves. The temple carved here was out of one mountain. It is dedicated to Shivji the God of creation and destruction. The carvings are so expressive. Hard to imagine how such a monumental task was accomplished in 6 A.D. All of it was done with rudimentary tools.

Gene and I had a spirited conversation about the movie 'Slumdog millionaire" I have opted not to see it and he can't understand my reason not to see it. In th next coulple of days, he will go and see the slums of Mumbai, I think I will visit a family friend I have not seen since 1972.

Well, the feel of Mumbai is so different. It will take me a while to process. It sure is not the Mumbai I last saw in 1972. So much progress has taken place and yet so much more has yet to be accomplished. My hope is that this country will find it's way to a better life for all of it's citizens.

Tomorrow we go to see the tour of the city. I will write more then.

Until then,

Sunita.

No comments:

Post a Comment