Friday, March 20, 2009

Mumbai continued...

Today, we had a tour of the city. Saw the University of Bombay. We went to traffic school for children. I remember doing that. It wasn't until I saw the traffic school that I remembered going to such a school. It was set in the park. A minature street scape, complete with traffic lights, zebra crossings, left turn lanes and all the road signs. Even a roundabout! As a child I learnt how to pretend drive in traffic school. No wonder I grew up-- to love driving! Funny, how I had forgotten traffic school. I was so happy to see this part of my childhood return to me.

After that we saw a museum devoted to Gandhi. It's a house that he would stay at when he visited Mumbai. A room was set up where his spinning wheel is kept. He learnt how to spin yarn in this house. After that we saw a museum where antiquities are kept. Miniature paintings and large pottery pieces found from the period of the Indus civilization. Impressive.Then we saw the dobi ghat, where laundry services are provided for many in the city. It was interesting to see how men wash clothes! None of the washers were women. Now if only we could get men in America to wash the laundry for us!

The name Mumbai comes from the name of the goddess, Mumba who the fishermen worshipped. It was known as Mumba which became Mumbai, but the name was changed when Portugal invaded to Bombai, and then the Brits changed it to Bombay. Bombay was given by Portugal to England as part of the dowery for the marriage between the queen of Portugal and King of England, interesting history I had no knowledge of.Tomorrow Gene is determined to see the slums of Mumbai, needless to say I am not going. I hope to connect with a family friend. He will go with the car and driver.

After the tour of the city, Gene went to his room to read, while I went out for a stroll. The Taj hotel is on the waterfront. It faces the Arabian Sea. It's directly across from India Gate. People come to this part of the city to walk by the harbour. Perfect opportunity for me to people watch. Anytime I am in Vancouver visiting my family, I want to go to little India and just stare at Indians, much to the dismay of my family members. But, here I can stare all I want, because all the Indian people stare at me. I am just as much a novelty for them as they are for me.

This afternoon, I saw families out for an afternoon stroll. Fathers holding their children, walking and showing them the boats in the harbour, while the mothers walk along. Young couples walking hand in hand. Older couples also holding hands. Everyone smiling. These are the images of India no one sees. There is contentment on the faces of people I saw. I have been so heartwarmed by my visit here. On the other hand there are areas of concern for me also. The economic issues facing so many people. The trash that people throw with no regard for their enviornment. The pollution, though better than before is still an issue.
Tomorrow will be a day of rest for me and visiting a long lost friend.
Until then.
Sunita.

No comments:

Post a Comment