Monday, March 9, 2009

Beautiful Bhutan!

We are in Bhutan. This is so different than any other place we have visited so far. It's charming. The weather is cooler. It's feels similar to Colorado. The mountain streams and brooks are pristine. The country is so clean and there is no traffic. We are in Paro, it's not the capital of Bhutan, it's the only place where they can land an airplane! and landing that airplane was difficult since we had to weave in and out of mountains. We did fly by the Himalays and again the sky was clear and they truly are magnificient.

We left Kathmandu this morning, Gene remarked he was happy to be leaving, the feeling of unrest among the citizens is evident. After we landed we checked into our hotel. Gene was ready to start the sightseeing. Myself, I wanted to rest and enjoy the calm surroundings we found ourselves in. I decided soon I will take a day of rest. So, we went to see a Dzong, it's monastery. It's perched high on a mountain. Almost everything is perched high on a mountain. We then went to visit a working farm, the family of the farm made butter tea for us. Yes, it was tea made with a lot of butter. I could not finish the tea, however Gene drank most of his cup...yikes, I thought! We also saw downtown Paro, which is just one street long, really charming! I was surprised to find that people here speak Hindi. The Bhutanese have a close relationship with India. India has the professional work force that Bhutan lacks, such as architects and engineers. And for India, Bhutan sells it's hydro power to the Indians.

It took only an hour to get to Paro. We are staying a charming hotel which overlooks the town of Paro. The surroundings are very peaceful and calm. Tomorrow, I have decided I am staying behind to refresh my spirit. Be one with the trees. I intend to meditate and go for walks and sleep in! Gene thinks I am going to spend my life sleeping away...I do have really vivid dreams, so I think I am getting something accomplished!

Gene could not understand my desire to stop and smell the roses. He feels we have traveled a long way to just sit and meditate. For me the pace has been hectic and I really need some down time. And if, you could see the surroundings of this hotel you would understand my wish for rest and relaxation. I will be sitting in a grove of trees looking at mountain ranges all around me. Breathing in cool, crisp, fresh air and renewing my sense of being after all the sadness witnessed in Nepal. Gene, on the other hand is not going to rest, instead he is going to see the capital of Bhutan, Timpthu. The journey will be long and then he will see where artists learn their craft and also see a Buddhist stupah. He will visit a handicrafts emporium among other things. I do wish I could do both, rest and see Timpthu. But, since we only have one more day here and the day after that we are off to Kolkota (Calcutta) at the crack of dawn again. My body is demanding a more laid back approach.

To me it seems Bhutan has a government that cares about it's people. I first heard about Bhutan a few years ago when 60 Minutes did a feature on this tiny country. The kings of this country have studied abroad and are well educated. This country believes in the gross national happiness of it's people. People do lead simple lives a lot of the population lives in the hill side. They manage their lives bartering with their neighbours. They live in the high mountains with their Yaks. I would really like to see a Yak!
I will write more tomorrow after my day of rest.
Sunita.

No comments:

Post a Comment