Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Back in India!

Hello from Kolkata,

We touched down this morning in Kolkata. From the air I felt like I was coming home. Hard to explain.Today is the festival of Holi. People throw coloured water or powder at each other. I love playing Holi. As a child it was my favorite festival. No, doubt it began as a harvest festival. Today it's a national holiday. When we arrived the streets were calm, everyone is at home playing and having fun. Indians have so many holidays and they are all centered around the family unit. Pretty cool! We didn't get to play Holi, even though we bought the powder and a squirt gun. My fingers were itching to get someone wet with the coloured water. But, I thought better of it, we still had a lot of sightseeing to do.

It was hard to leave Bhutan. I would like to go back one day. I am not sure if my pocket book can handle it or not. Yesterday the lunch I ordered cost $31.00. Please keep in mind, I am a vegetarian. I ordered a tomato and cheese sandwich, chips and a coke. If I had put it on my credit card, there would have been an additional charge of 9%. Everything is expensive in Bhutan!

The hotel we are staying at is just beautiful. We have already had two meals here. My stomach is very happy having Indian food again.

In the afternoon we went for a tour of the city. Since Kolkata was the seat of the British rule for so long, there are a lot of buildings that were built to remind the British what they left behind. We like the guide very much. He's very knowledgeable. He thinks my facial features remind him of the Goddess Durga, she is the Warrior Goddess, I thought that was something to write home about! We drove past the holy river Ganga, even here she looks beautiful. We then went to see the mission run by Mother Teresa, Gene enjoyed seeing that. For me it's tough to see Hindus converting to a different religion. I feel one can help their own kind without having to abandon their entire belief system.

More as the journey unfolds.

1 comment:

  1. I loved your blog. You are a very talented writer, and it made me miss India, too. Though I don't know if it's the same place I remember as a seven year old. I can understand what you mean about people using good deeds as leverage to get what they want--it undermines the action. On the other hand, westerners are switching to Eastern belief systems, too. I expect it'll all work out in the end. Stay well, carry an abundance of toilet paper and hand sanitzer and don't let anyone put ice in your drink.
    Love,

    Nita.

    ReplyDelete