Monday, March 2, 2009

In India finally...

It seems like it takes forever to get here, perhaps it has more to do with being anxious to get here. To be able to see all that I have missed for so long. We landed in Delhi at 3 a.m. I was pleasantly surprised by the roadways so well kept. Large new hiways being built along with a metro system which is going to connect the heart of the city to the airport. Such progress in such a short amount of time. I have seen very few cows on the roads. I was expecting so many just meandering along, but those days are gone, so our guide told us. The government stepped in and made sure the problem of the wandering cow will be gone. Progress!

This morning March 2nd. I woke up after having slept for only two hours, we saw Qutab Minar the first monument made by the Muslims in India. It was hard to see that the monument stands in place of many temples that were destroyed. The out laying buildings are made from the stones recovered from the temples. Doubly hard to witness was the Hindu deitieis faces disfigured, arms, legs broken off and the stones used to build Muslim buildings--these are the spoils of war. I said a quiet prayer as I stood by the image of Ganeshji, he is the God who will remove any hinderances out of your way.

After Qutab Minar we saw the President's palace, it was impressive. Much larger than the White House in D.C. More enjoyable was that the British built that in 1937, only to leave it in 1947, so our guide told us. I had a smile on my face as I heard that!

Already the sounds and flavor of India is hard to ignore. So many people walking around.  After the wide open spaces of Oklahoma, visually New Delhi with it's busy street life is hard to adjust to.  So many cars on the roads. I have no idea how anyone finds any street here. Since none of the roadways are marked. I do love to drive, but I think I have met my match in India. No way would I drive here! Everyone has their own way of driving and somehow it all works.  

At the end of our day, we were treated to a home cooked meal by a chef. She prepared everything in front of us. Giving us a lesson in the benefits of all the Indian spices used. I was glad to know that when I teach, I am giving out the same information as hers. My momma taught me well! Thanks Mum!

I would like to write more, though, I think I need sleep right now.  It is good to be in India. I will bid goodnight and give my next account soon.

Until then,
Sunita.

No comments:

Post a Comment