Thursday, March 5, 2009

The Holy River.

Yesterday and today, we spent time in Haridwar. This means gateway to God.This is where Hindus come to witness the awesome beauty of the river Ganga. Known in the west as the Ganges. Hindus want their ashes to flow in the waters of the river because she is the river of life. She will carry our soul to the creator. We were up early, to catch the train to Haridwar. We were at the Delhi station by 6a.m. We had two first class seats. The rest of the train is not air conditioned, so it's best to pay extra and travel in comfort. They feed you plenty on this train. We were in Haridwar by noon. On the way we saw farming land. Rice, wheat and other crops were grown. People working in the fields, rather than machines. The interesting thing about the Indian people, they always wear colourful clothing!

I have always wanted to go to Haridwar. When I was ten my parents went to Haridwar, I remember wanting to go with them. Yesterday, I could not but help think of both of them. I wondered if I am standing on the same spot that my parents stood upon? Both of them were so young when they came here. I remember my mother describing the force of the river. As I gazed upon the river, I understood her awe.

I have always wanted to do a ceremony on behalf of my parents and two brothers, lost to us a long time ago. I asked the priest on the river bank to do a ceremony for them. I cried as the priest bestowed the blessings on the flowers and lighted wick which I placed in the river. As I watched the beautiful blossom boat float away from me, my heart ached. I shed a few more tears. I was so grateful that my dear friend Gerne was with me to give support. He hugged me tight. No words were necessary, I knew he felt my pain and wanted me to know I was not alone.

It was funny to see Gene being the only white person at the evening prayer. There were thousands of people there. He stood out! I had to take a picture of that. After the river ceremony, we ate dinner and talked about the emotional experience. I will still need more time to process all of my feelings.

Today we went to Rishikesh another town on the banks of the river, just a little north of Haridwar. The river is even more pristine if that is at all possible. Here we were actually able to cross the river in a boat. I finally had the opportunity to fill a bottle with the water from the river Ganga. The water was cold, since this is a glacial river. I am mesmerized by this incredible river. The water from this river is my prized possession, it's like liquid gold. I intend to share this holy water with all my family members!

Then it was back to Delhi, the train ride took almost five hours. I am forever grateful for the trip to Haridwar.

We are off to Kathmandu tomorrow. I will write more later. The excellent adventure continues...

No comments:

Post a Comment