Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Taj by sunrise!

Okay, so I got up early to view the Taj by sunrise. Was it worth it? Yes, it was! I am glad I forced myself to do this. The sun hitting the Taj in the morning, so many different hues were visible. The light changes the mood of this monument. Gene thought it was awe inspiring, incredible, magical and impressive. Tagore a Hindu poet said of the Taj, "It's an eternal teardrop on the cheek of time". So beautiful.

I think Gene has enjoyed his trip. Everyday he has written his thoughts in a journal. I think he has already completed one book. No doubt this will be a great read in a few months time. Last night over dinner we were both sad that this journey is coming to an end. We have seen so many faces of India, it's hard to pick a favorite city or area or experience.

After seeing the Taj by sunrise, by the way I have pictures of the morning sun --just to prove I was there! We came back to the hotel and had our breakfast on the balcony facing the Taj. Too surreal!After breakfast we went to Agra Fort which is very similar to the Red Fort in Delhi. We also saw the mini Taj, which was the inspiration for the Taj Mahal.

Tonight we saw a play about the love story behind the Taj Mahal. It was built to house the body of Mumtaz, the queen of Shah Jhan the emperor of India. It took twenty two years to build. The white marble was inlaid by local artisans with semi precious stones. No matter how many times I see the Taj, I am always swept away by the romance of the place. Did the emperor really build it because he was so grief stricken. Or, was it a monument to stroke his ego? One will not know. However, I like the romantic version better. Each person who is in love needs to come to this place.

The rest of Agra is hard to take, it is messy and dirty. It is the most disorganized city we were in. Traffic here was difficult to take. The pollution here was much worse. I don't understand why this one city has not improved?  It's hard to see the Taj in a surrounding that does not suit it. The government makes a lot of money from this monument, I wish they would spend it fixing up the city, and helping the citizens of Agra. 

There have been threats against the Taj Mahal, so security is very tight. The Taj is not lit up at night because they are afraid of an aerial attack. The times we live in... Though, I am pleased to see better security, not so pleased when people don't pay attention to simple instructions. I was shaking my head as I was waiting in line to get through security. Two young European men were being detained because they had back packs filled with chewing gum, food, clothes, phones and battery packs. None of which are allowed into the compound where the Taj is located. As I waited, I wondered why they had not paid attention to the large signs describing contra band items? They were being rather indignant as the guards were searching them. Wonder what would happen to them if they behaved in a similar fashion at the security gate for the White House in D.C.? 

Well, this excellent adventure is coming to it's end. My last entry from India will be tomorrow. We head back to Delhi and then onto London, then Chicago, then home. I am not ready to leave India. All the wonderful food, people and sounds, aromas of this place will haunt me until I return.

No comments:

Post a Comment