Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The Taj Mahal!

Hello from Agra,We left Jaipur this morning and were in Agra by tea time. We did stop on the way to see a city built by Akbar a Mughal emperor. It's called Fatepur Sikri. The city was abandoned and remarkably is in very good condition some 400 hundred years or so later.

We went to see the Taj Mahal by sunset. It's an amazing structure by any light. Have I used the word beautiful before?! Well, this is beautiful and then some. I have seen the Taj a couple of times. No matter how many times one is here, the words incredible, beautiful come to mind. Everytime I see it, I just want to sit and stare at it. It feels so surreal. As you enter the gate, you are struck by the majesty of the Taj. The Taj is not visible in it's entirety until you pass through the gate. It's amazing the amount of detail afforded this massive flawless building. 

Tomorrow we will be up early to see the Taj by sunrise. I have come to the conclusion that I just need to accept the morning hours as my friends. A bit late in the game, since we will be home this weekend! 

Yesterday, while Gene and I were coming back to our hotel in the evening, I remarked, that no city in India sleeps at night. He very quietly quipped , "they have no room, they all have to take turns sleeping"! I thought I would share with you his sense of humor. It was so funny, I am still laughing about it.We are both feeling sad that the end of the journey is so near. Though, the thought of seeing our loved ones is tempering the sadness we feel.

More tomorrow.
Sunita.

No comments:

Post a Comment