Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Anne of Green Gables!

The farm where Lucy Maud Montgomery based her book Anne of Green Gables is a National Historic Monument. It was fun to see the haunted woods come to life as I walked around the farm house. The farm house has been decorated to look like the place Anne grew up. It was enjoyable to see the book come to life, they have done a good job of keeping this piece of history alive.
It was a very pleasant drive to the town of Cavendish. Every town in P.E.I. is very accessible. It took only forty five minutes to get there from Charlottetown. I was in no hurry, so I drove slowly taking in the serene beauty of this island. Stopping every time I spotted a white church with a steeple. There's something about a white church with a long spire against the blue sky that has always appealed to me. Of course, I am always fascinated by the graveyards next to these tiny churches. As a Hindu where cremation is our way of paying final respect to the body, I find burial of a body interesting. On the one hand it gives the ones left behind a place to memorialize the final resting place of a loved one. On the other hand, a lot of land is devoted to dead people. As an environmentalist I find that to be wasteful, I can also see the comfort a final resting place brings to friends and family members. It is hard to go to the River Ganga in India, every time a Hindu misses the ones who are gone!
I had an extremely pleasant day, even though the day started off with rain and overcast sky. I was determined not to let that be a hinderance. I slept in and woke up when my body felt ready and then, after breakfast, I was off to explore. The day turned out quite well, every so often the clouds would part and allow the sun to peak out. The temps were in the upper seventies, which allowed me to have the top down for most of my sightseeing.
Tomorrow the driving begins again, this time the destination is Toronto, I am going to visit my childhood friend Farzana who lives in Toronto with her family. We have not seen each other in about twenty years. We speak with each other regularly and keep abreast of each other's lives. It will be wonderful to see her again.

3 comments:

  1. I read a lot of L.M. Montgomery when I was younger. I have been curious about P.E.I. as a result. I'm glad to hear that it doesn't disappoint!

    Despite my meager travels, I have actually visited Toronto. It's nice that you get to see your friend after so long.

    Safe Travels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Sara,
    For Anne of Green Gables fans it brings the story alive in full living colour, so you must visit P.E.I. Yes, I too am looking forward to seeing Farzana tomorrow it's been too long!
    Did you like Toronto when you visited?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess I liked it. The trip itself was kind of uncomfortable at times - It was an art club trip in high school and none of my close friends at the time went so I was pretty much solo the whole trip. I went up the CN Tower, saw a show (Phantom of the Opera) and went to the art museum. I also had my first GardenBurger (not sure why I remember this particular fact so well.) I just remember everything being clean and being quite happy to go home. Nothing against the city, though. Probably enjoy visiting Toronto again.

    ReplyDelete