Thursday, July 21, 2011

Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan!

You gotta love the name Moose Jaw! I was going to stay in Regina the capital of Saskatchewan, but decided to drive a bit further to Moose Jaw so that I would be closer to Calgary. My sister Shushma is going to fly up from Vancouver to meet me and then we will have a mini road trip together. I have traveled with my younger sister Sadhna many times but Shushma and I have never gone on a road trip before. So, when her busy schedule allowed her to sneak away for a couple of days we decided to meet each other in Calgary and take advantage of this rare opportunity. She will get to see the most picturesque part of Canada, since we will be crossing the Canadian Rockies! I will be very grateful to have a driving partner!
This morning, I was still on the hunt for some type of a souvenir from Winnipeg. My hotel staff were not very helpful and I was unable to find anything. It's not that I want to buy a ton of stuff, that is not my style, but I so wanted a T shirt with lake Winnipeg on it. Well, some things are just not meant to be.
I got on the road towards Saskatchewan, it didn't take long to leave Manitoba, these two provinces are very narrow but, are long northwards. Saskatchewan is not as lush looking as Manitoba and the tress here are shorter. My family who live in Vancouver thought the drive through the prairies would be dull and boring, I find it to be the exact opposite. I love the fact that I had an almost 360 degree panoramic view of the earth, flat land covered in hues of green, yellow and the colour of mud meeting the blue of the sky at the horizon, with just a few white clouds to add drama to the sky. Nothing could be finer! The temps were in the upper seventies, the top was down on the car, the music was cranked up and I was having a wonderful time!
I got to Moose Jaw around dinner time, decided to eat Greek food tonight, but I was sadly disappointed with the variety as well as the taste. It's hard to be a vegetarian, to look at the choices on the menu that all sound good if only they could be vegetarian options instead of meat. As a vegetarian there is always just one choice in a menu filled with at least 20-30 meat choices-- c'est la vie!
I was able to find a ball cap from a store with the logo of a moose, with Moose Jaw written across the top, I think it will be a treasure to have!

2 comments:

  1. Moose Jaw. It's weird, the names people come up for places sometimes. I'm glad you like the flat terrain. (I think it would drive me a little nutty, to be honest.) I hope your Greek dinner wasn't inedible at least and I hope you had a better dinner tonight.

    Say "Hi" to Shushma for me when you see her. Safe journey through the Rockies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, the flat terrain has it's own beauty, you really get to feel the whole planet-- so to speak. Shush is going to arrive late... plane delays, but I will give her your greeting.
    I liked the name 'Moose Jaw' for some reason?! Tonight I had left over Indian, it was very good.

    ReplyDelete