Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Port aux Basques, Newfoundland!

Finally, I am here! The apex of my journey. It seems like just getting here all the stars had to align just right and prayers to all the travel Gods in the pantheon of all Gods were sent out. The prayers were answered, even though I got on the wrong hi-way, I was still able to find the ferry terminal and get in line ahead of time. For those of you who have been following my blog-- you know that mornings are not my best time of the day. Though, when push comes to shove I can function in the mornings, which I did this morning. I got ready in record time and was on the road by 8:15 a.m.
Getting on the ferry is it's own travel drama, one has to report to the terminal two hours ahead of sailing time and then you wait in your designated lane until the ferry personnel motion you forward to board the gigantic vessel. Spitfire had to remain in the parking hold of the ferry in the bottom deck while I went upstairs to a very comfortable lounge.
I had ordered perfect weather, clear blue skies, minimal wind and a calm sea. All of the above were granted! The sailing was smooth as we bid au-revoir to the North Sydney coastline of Nova Scotia. I went to the dinning room for some lunch to find that no vegetarian choices were available for me, as I stood there pondering what I might do to satiate my hunger the chief chef came over and said "I will fix you a vegetarian platter with a salad and it's on the house!" I was indeed moved by his kind gesture. His name is Albert, he is the chef on the vessel named Blue Puttees, if you ever happen to be in this neck of the woods.
I met a charming family from Toronto who were on a family vacation, I enjoyed my conversation with Sue and her son. If I get the opportunity, Sue and I may meet each other for lunch while I am in Toronto. These are the joys of travel, meeting perfect strangers and finding out you have so much in common with each other. We exchanged e-mail addresses and will stay in touch.
Our ferry arrived in Port aux Basques the south western tip of Newfoundland on time at 4:30 p.m. As we were approaching Newfoundland, fog started to roll in and the harbor town was barely visible. Such a difference in less than an hour! We went from summer to late fall like temps in a matter of minutes! The landscape looks like Scotland, granite hills with fog hovering; you expect to see someone playing bagpipes emerging from behind the fog curtain!
The hotel I am staying at is close to the ferry terminal, tomorrow a long 7-10 hour drive awaits me as I journey eastwards to St John's. I may decide to break the journey in half depending on my fatigue level!

No comments:

Post a Comment