Friday, July 1, 2011

New Stanton, PA.

Well, I didn't get as far as Harrisburg today, the eastern part of the country is definitely harder to traverse than the western half which I am so used to traveling on my way north to Vancouver. The way I have been driving so long and hard, by now I would have reached Portland Oregon! So, a change in plans, I will not be able to make it to New Brunswick by July 4. Time to step back and remember the reason for this trip-- to enjoy the journey! I think the reason for my haste is rooted in the ferry schedule for Newfoundland and consequently lodging in St. John. I dislike having to book ahead of time it takes all the fun out of spontaneity! This trip has had to be different because I have had to plan ahead and book hotel rooms along the way to insure arrival in St John. Well, today that went out the window! There is more traffic and even more construction on the roads and most drivers just don't stay out of my way!
I came to my hotel room exhausted and regrouped. I cancelled most of the bookings I had made and decided to slow down and enjoy the idyllic Pennsylvanian countryside. I kept one hotel booking on Newfoundland for later next week just in case I do get there, other than that I will be flying by the seat of my pants as I usually do!
Today, as I was racing towards Harrisburg I was mulling over what wonderful fast food chain will I patronize when I noticed a huge sign written in Gurmukhi, it is the way the Punjabi language is written, I can speak Punjabi but never learnt to write it; though I recognize the script. Gratefully, under the Gurmukhi script there were these words in English "A Taste of India next exit and then turn right"! This was another truck stop catering to Sikh truck drivers just as I had found a truck stop in New Mexico last summer. I was overjoyed!
I decided to take the exit knowing I would get to eat authentic Punjabi food. I was not disappointed. These truck stops cater to Indian truckers so the food is like homestyle. It's not made for the North American palate. Sumptuous and spicy I enjoyed my lunch, I was thankful I didn't have to choose between Cracker Barrel or Subway!
The rest of the afternoon was very pleasant, amazing when the belly is full the brain is happy. It also helped that the weather is cooler in this part of the country and I was able to have the top down and listen to some great music!
I have no idea where I'll end up tomorrow so it will be as much a surprise to me as to you! Until then.

No comments:

Post a Comment