Saturday, July 9, 2011

Cape Spear!

Today I wanted to see the easternmost part of the North American continent, it's located at Cape Spear, it houses one of Newfoundland and Labrador's oldest surviving lighthouse. The 1835 structure is on a rocky cliff 245 ft. above sea water. I was hoping to dip my toe into the Atlantic Ocean at this point, but it was not meant to be. The rocky cliffs are slippery and the ocean tide is very strong with rogue waves coming in with no warning. As much as I wanted to inch my way towards the water, I resisted and took many photos instead. Somethings are just not meant to be and this was one of them. I was treated instead to Humpback whales! I saw a baby just frolicking off the coast. Every few minutes it would come up for air and then disappear into the sea. The only hint the whale was about to surface would be when the water around the whale become a light hue of blue, and the glistening body of the whale came out of the water. Then, water spew out of the blow hole and under she would go again. I was delighted that this extra special treat was in store for me!
I also went to Signal Hill just a short drive from downtown St. John's this is the location where in 1901 the first transatlantic wireless message was received by Guglielmo Marconi. The morning was shrouded in fog at Signal Hill so I was not able to see the ocean, but the view of the harbour was visible. St John's looked very picturesque tucked away off the shore. With the brightly coloured houses, boats and ships docked and a perfect sky as the backdrop. I have enjoyed my stay here in St. John's and I am glad I made this trek to the eastern shore of Canada. Tomorrow begins the trek back to Port aux Basques, the long drive and then the ferry crossing back to Sydney, Nova Scotia.
This has been an incredible journey and even though it has been tiring at times, I am gratified I came. I will be sad to leave St. John's and Newfoundland.

2 comments:

  1. Considering its location, Cape Spear seems like a good place to watch the sun rise. From pictures, the old light house looks cute (if buildings are permitted to be cute!) Sorry you weren't able to get your feet wet but whale watching does sound like a good "consolation prize." Glad you are taking lots of pictures.

    Stay safe on your drive back to Port aux Basques.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sara, for staying in touch, yes it would be a good spot to see the sunrise out of the horizon... if I could get myself up at that hour of the a.m.! The lighthouse did look cute, it was a good long walk up, so I decided not to go up, coming down would have been tough. You and Mahesh would have enjoyed the walk up though! I will be careful driving back.

    ReplyDelete