Sunday, July 3, 2011

Freeport, Maine.

I crossed over many states in one single day, from Connecticut to Massachusetts, through New Hampshire to Maine! Amazing! It takes two days just to cross the length of California. I decided to get off the major interstate I-95 and go the coastal route on hi-way 1. Soon I realized it was a mistake because it seems everyone in all the eastern states had the same idea. It was bumper to bumper traffic on this tiny hi-way. It took ten minutes to travel less than a mile. Even though the small towns that dot this scenic road, are little jewels, I headed back towards the interstate. I didn't know how long it would take to get to Freeport, I had stopped to make a reservation around tea time. I knew a room would be waiting for me, at the same time I was not willing to crawl at a snails pace during the dusk hours.
The two towns I did get to see were Portsmouth Maine where the US navy started, and Kittery. In Portsmouth the middle of the town square there was an old working village, where people dress in period costumes and speak old English. It was intriguing to see how people lived in this brand new country. Remarkable to see how much this country has been able to achieve in a mere two hundred odd years. Kittery on the other hand is a shoppers paradise, it's a shame I could not find any parking or a few well chosen items might have found their way into the trunk of my car!
Tomorrow I plan to be in New Brunswick, Canada, but before that I am going to check out the charming little hamlet of Freeport and learn it's history.

No comments:

Post a Comment