Monday, July 4, 2011

Fredericton, New Brunswick

This morning I woke up to fog in Maine! Fog is rare in Oklahoma, but I remember plenty of foggy days in London as a teenager. By the time I was on the road at ten in the morning the fog had burned off and the day was beautiful. I was going to check some of the lighthouses that Maine is so famous for but decided to head towards New Brunswick, I was anxious to get my journey across Canada started. After topping off Spitfire's (my car) gas tank we headed north on I-95. The top was down since it was only in the upper seventies, Robert Palmer and Prince helped to rev up the journey to high octane and away we went. A lot of the hi-way was very similar to the road I took towards Alaska along with signs warning of moose crossings!
It took less than ten minutes at the Canadian border, customs is my least favorite thing to do on the planet! Memories of being pulled over when I was driving to Alaska will always remain fresh in my mind, so this time I had my story ready along with details of how long I will be in the fair country of Canada. No problems this time I had nothing to declare, questions such as "Do you have any firearms with you?"-- brought a smile inside my head, I was not about to elaborate on my personal feelings about carrying guns, or about being a pacifist; too much information! I have had to remind myself that I only need to answer questions with a 'yes' or, 'no' answer, too much information given out by me always gets me in trouble!
Well, I entered New Brunswick and took a photo of the beginning of my Canadian adventure, Fredericton was not far away and I made it to my hotel by teatime. Indians, Canadians and the British know how to do afternoon tea. I sat in the elegant dinning room sipping on hot English Breakfast tea and eating scones. I didn't have to tell the waitstaff to bring cream for me, they know how to serve afternoon tea. Such a wonderful respite afternoon tea is, it rejuvenates in a very calm and serene manner.
After my tea I went to my room and began to plan out the journey to Newfoundland. This portion of the trip did require schedules since the only way to get to St. John's is by ferry hotels on the way have to be booked in advance so that I will have a place to stay. As much as I dislike planning ahead in this instance I do have to be meticulous in my planning. Getting to St. John's is quite a trek after catching the ferry to Newfoundland, there is a 7-9 hour car journey to arrive at St. John's! Good job, I like to drive!
Tomorrow I am going to get to Nova Scotia and drive to Halifax. I hope everyone at home had a very pleasant July 4th!

No comments:

Post a Comment