Friday, July 8, 2011

Shopping St. John's style!

Today, I woke up late! What a joy it is to sleep in, I have been on the go so much my fatigue level was at an all time high. It was good to get the needed rest, after breakfast, I headed towards the historic downtown of St. John's it is the oldest city in Canada. The houses downtown are row houses all painted with bright colours. I am sure to keep the bleak days of winter and fog at bay.
I wanted to be able to pick out gifts for family members from the eastern most part of Canada. Being and artist myself, I prefer to purchase one of a kind handmade items by local artists. I was not disappointed, I found just the right thing for each member of my family! Then, I was off taking pictures of the charming painted houses and the port of St. John's. The downtown area is quite hilly, I wear a pedometer so that I can keep track of the steps I take daily and today I logged well over thirteen thousand steps which is 6.1 miles!
In the evening I went to India Gate on Duckworth street, a local Indian restaurant which has been in business for the past twenty years. I neglected to make a reservation, I simply couldn't remember what day of the week today is and of course on a Friday night in a bustling city such as St. John's reservations are required! The proprietor of the establishment whose name is Varinder could see the disappointment in my face, he very kindly made room for me and I enjoyed an amazing dinner!
At the end of my meal Varinder and I exchanged stories as to how we both ended up so far away from our native lands, during the conversation I find out he lived in Vancouver for a while. He knew who my sister is, he had watched her shows on television and listened to her on the radio! We both remarked on what a small world this truly is. I have come across so many people of Indian descent who know of my sister Shushma, I am heartwarmed by her popularity!
Tomorrow, I will head to Signal Hill and then to Cape Spear, the eastern most part of Canada; dip my toe in the Atlantic Ocean and consider my quest to get to the furthest point of Canada complete!

No comments:

Post a Comment