Monday, July 18, 2011

Still in Ontario!

I have no idea how long it will take to get out of Ontario, it's like California, it goes on forever! I will be in Manitoba tomorrow for sure. I am looking forward to being in Winnipeg, just the name makes me smile.
Today most of the day was spent driving through Ontario, at times I was by Lake Superior, it's an immense lake, the only problem was that there were very few turn offs to get closer to the lake. That is one thing which is so different than in the USA. In America lots of points of interest are available right off the road, with plenty of signs showing you when a turn off is coming. Not so in Canada. That was disappointing. On the way the road is dotted with numerous lakes, three in particular caught my attention; one was Mom lake, next came Baby lake and then Dad lake! I would have liked to have been able to stop and take photographs of the three lakes, but there was no room on the side of the hi-way. Since the road is just a two lane hi-way and the shoulder is very narrow it was not possible to pull over to take pictures. I guess I will have to depend on my memory to remember. I was able to take a photograph of stone sculptures that I am assuming young people make and leave atop of giant rocks by the side of the road. I began to notice them as I began to get into rural Ontario. Through the entire area of Ontario beginning with Sudbury and continuing to Thunder Bay people have defaced rocks with names, which makes me sad, it takes away from the natural majestic beauty of the immense rocks. However, seeing the small rock sculptures made me smile each time. They are usually made with small rocks on either side to make the legs and then a large horizontal rock to make the body and arms, then a small rock to make the head. They stand as if to bid you welcome. While driving the wonder of nature keeps me occupied and I truly enjoy this spiritual connection with the earth.
Tonight I am staying in Ignace Ontario, my hotel room is a throwback to the seventies, except for the internet. The furnishings and keys remind me of the times I took my little children on a cross country trip and stayed in some shady locations!
I have not been able to find too many vegetarian choices for breakfast, lunch or dinner. I am looking forward to being in Vancouver and eating some fresh veggies. I have been stopping at local grocery stores and picking up some fruit, that seems to make the lack of good veggie choices a bit easier to tolerate.


No comments:

Post a Comment