Friday, July 22, 2011

Calgary, Alberta.

My day started off with grace this morning! As I was checking out of my hotel, I turned and looked at the dinning area where breakfast was served only to realize I had missed it. I lamented the fact that I missed breakfast when Myrinna, who was processing my payment offered to get me a muffin for the road. Appreciatively I accepted, she asked Janie the hostess to grab a muffin for me. We all got to talking when I told them about my epic journey across Canada. Most often people are amazed that I am doing this by myself, and usually the next remark is "You go girl!"
I found out that Myrinna has never been away from Sasketchewan, but Janie on the other hand has lived in many different provinces. She decided that she wanted to retire in a small friendly town such as Moose Jaw. As we continued to talk about our lives, both the ladies decided I needed fruit for the road too and a glass of juice also. I am always heart warmed by people's simple acts of kindness. With a great bran muffin and all my other goodies I headed out on the Trans Canada Hi-way.
I neglected to take photos of Sasketchewan yesterday, thinking today there would be plenty of time to stop and take a snap shot or two. Not so, it rained the entire day and soon I was crossing over to Alberta. Well, I will just have to contend with the memories I have in my mind and the ball cap I got yesterday. Manitoba and Sasketchewan both look like parts of Kansas and the panhandle of Texas.
The drive was a bit stressful since the rain was steady and heavy, though I have to give credit to most Canadian drivers, they stay in the left lane only to overtake leaving the left lane virtually empty. Little things like that make my day!
The next act of grace came a bit later in the day as I was searching for a good vegetarian restaurant. I spied a billboard claiming to have the best Indian food! Well, say no more! I decided to find it in the town called Medicine Hat. I got there just as they were closing up after lunch, disappointed I asked the owner when the restaurant would open again? He asked me to come inside and sit down, he prepared a vegetarian plate for me. Another gesture of kindness! The name of the restaurant is The Spice Route and the owner's name is Shir Brar. The food was indeed exceptional.
After lunch, Calgary was only a couple of hours away, I drove through rain and realized that today is the end of my solo journey. Tomorrow my sister will be with me. As much as I am looking forward to seeing her, I am a bit sad today that this part of my adventure has ended. Tomorrow will be a different kind of a road trip.

2 comments:

  1. That was one heck of an epic trip! I think I would have enjoyed the plains part of it, and I'm sure Snuffa would have loved having the top down during that part, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment! I agree with you Snuffa would have loved this trip

    ReplyDelete